Saturday, December 5, 2009

#20 Open Post--The End!

I cannot believe I have almost completed the online technology course!  From my previous posts, especially at the beginning, my apprehension was very evident.  It is no secret that my personal learning curve has been gigantic!  My sense of accomplishment and personal satisfaction at this point is almost equal in size because I have had some success with something I have been fearful of in the past...technology!

This was my first experience with online learning.  For me personally, the format of the course has probably inhibited my learning when compared to receiving instruction in the traditional face-to-face setting.  I am such a visual learner!  However, I felt like the course was structured and laid out very well.  The posted assignments took us clearly through the material.  I thought the pacing was appropriate as far as the space between assignments and tests. 

One of my goals was to become more aware of current technology and software available to enhance my job as a reading teacher.  I definitely appreciated the chapter in the Roblyer text on integrating technology into the reading/language arts curriculum!  I also relied heavily upon the Atomic Learning website for tutorials in completing the three tech. assignments.

As far as suggestions, I can really only think of two things.  My first thought is regarding the applicability of the database assignment for teachers in general.  I definitely struggled on that assignment although I finally completed it--even well!  While I am happy to know how to create a database and mail merge, I am not sure that I will ever have the chance to use that knowledge in my current position.  Perhaps an assignment utilizing some current software that pertains to our teaching field would have been more helpful...almost like a hands-on demo.  My other suggestion would be some tweaking to the group project on AT.  I think devoting the entire third face-to-face meeting to group work time would have been very helpful to my group.  It is so hard as working adults with lives and families to schedule time to meet with three other busy individuals!  Perhaps setting more due dates for that project along the way would have been better. 

Overall, I have enjoyed my experience!  Along about week 8, I didn't know if I would make it to this point!  Looking back now, it seems that the semester went by very quickly.  I must really be getting old!  Although I am graduating in 2 weeks, I think the MTT program has a lot to offer students.  The enthusiasm and pride in that department is very evident...not only on the part of the students but the instructors as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment